Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Day 6

Notice anything different??


That's right- Kayla got her stinking NG tube out today!! YAY!! Doesn't she look 10x more comfortable than before?  The Dr. came in this a.m. and said they'd start a trial- 2 hours off NG, 2 hours on NG. After her first 2 hours off- she took a nap.  She was exhausted from almost no sleep last night to getting to go for a wagon ride and playing in the play room today- so we came back for a nap- and then it was time to hook her back up- Dr. came back, said that she's doing great- and ordered it out for when she woke. Except he only told me that- and I don't count... he wrote on a note "probably".. he needed to talk to K's nurse- but she was on lunch break- but thankfully her nurse went to find a resident of Drs. and told them to let her know- thanks nurse Maura!! :)

Kayla has gotten 4 things taken out of her in the past three days.  She started with the chest tube, then the epidural, then came the foley and now the NG!! WAHOO!! She only has the IV's in for nutritional purposes.. keep her glucose up- that sort of thing.

She was also allowed to drink some juice today.  OMG she was SOOOOOO excited- she saw it and went to town, but she wasn't supposed- so I had to make her slow down. Thankfully Nina and Papa came to visit and helped K sip slowly.


Nina and Papa came today and got to pull K on a wagon ride and experience all the fun that can be.. ha! But I'll tell you it's a lot easier with help! K's wagon ride in the morning was just me- pulling the IV stand thing and the wagon- and I was walking backwards to insure that the IV lines didn't get caught and pull out of K's hand.  It was interesting- I took her up the 12th floor to see the fish tank.. and when we got back down to the the 11th floor I took a different elevator- and there must have been a convention going on- bc there were a TON of ppl- me in my sweats, sweatshirt, no bra, and sock feet.. pulling little K and the IV stand.. it was interesting!! But Nina and Papa had no trouble.  She was awake mostly for their visit- and got her NG out while they were here- surprised they didn't want to watch.. ha! 



 K taking a nap before Nina and Papa got there...
 the nurses on this floor are adamant on putting up the railings- so I made sure I did before I went to shower. :)

K has also gone to the potty a couple of time- where there was poopy!! Yes she needed help, that med she got yesterday- but she's gone poo twice today, and once yesterday- and it's not a poo you and I would have- unless there was something not settling right inside of us... yup you got it- it sounds like pee, so when she gets up and it's brown, it's a little surprise for me! HA! But I guess the Drs... think that she is just leaking around the hard poo and the soup poo isn't enough... so they gave her a suppository tonight. :( I know it could be worse- it could be needing another NG tube, or more surgery, so a suppository is the easiest thing to try right now.  Just, her poor bum...too much in the past few days- several tylenols in the bum, an enemea, soup poo can sometimes burn, and now a suppository...and she just cried and squirmed..:( but pray it works!!! please!

Aside from what we think are poop cramps pain she was pretty good today- happy to get out of bed and happy to Nina and Papa. Hopefully she'll get some sleep tonight and eat tomorrow.  Pray for the poop and food tomorrow. Tonight she woke up from one of her many naps- crying, hysterically, "Mommy? Mommy? Muffins? Mommy, muffin?" :( She must have been dreaming about muffins.. poor girl.  Later we were laying down on the bed looking at the balloons she got from Great Aunt Anne and Aunt Gigi - as she has them all floating on the ceiling and she looks at me and says "mom, sandwich please" "no, don't have sandwich... sandwich.." :( So hoping all poops out of her, and food into her tomorrow.


These are pics from yesterday before the move down to the 11th floor that I didn't get to post...bc I was too impatient to wait for them to upload...
she doesn't look happy- but I swear it's bc I got the camera out- she was having a great time with her balloons
chillin' w/ crayons

...... when Charlie, Patty and Vince came to visit. :)






Photobucket

0 comments:

background

Followers

Blog Archive