Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Frustration Has Taken Over!

So I made my every morning call this morning and was highly disappointed again! Every day seems to bring Kayla a new nurse- she is to the point- especially being weened of fentanyl- that she needs some familiar faces, some faces who know how Kayla acts and how Kayla eats.. Well my nurse this A.M. - I don't know who she is - I have heard the name- and am thinking she had Kayla once- when Kayla was not taken off her fentanyl. Anyway this nurse proceeds to tell me that Kayla did not have a good night. (First time I have been told this in a long time) The reason she did not have a good night was because she slept all night long, except when she was woken up at 4 a.m. to do her every three hour feeding and she did not want to be awake. So Kayla threw a fit and vomited out all her feeding. This is what is so frustrating to me- a normal baby sleeping thru the night would thrill everyone- but if my baby does- it's not good... hmmm!!!!! A nurse practioner did say that if Kayla was asleep do not wake her in the night - if she wakes up- feed her. That sounds like a plan to me- but we'll see if they really do it. On a more positive note- Kayla was reduced to half of what it was on her fentanyl... It was .6 so I'm thinking half of that will be .3- but before it was a 2 and half of that was .6....??? I'm not real good at understanding this fentanyl stuff- :) But this is a good thing- she needs to get off her drugs- she can't go home with a fentanyl drip! But I am very nervous with this weening- she is pretty grumpy and makes her feedings not go as well as they can. She is also up to 42 mL of formula. My husband and I continue to pray for Baby Kaden everyday- as well as all the other CDH babies out there- we are trying our hardest to get the word out there about CDH- for awareness day my co-worker (I love her) put an article in two newspapers- however I am from a SMALL area- but it is all worth it! :) Kayla does miss the company of Baby C and his parents tho!!

1 comments:

Maxton's Mommy said...

I used to HATE when Max would have a new nurse. He was so fickle that they would think he was "not doing well" or do something to set him off that the other nurses would've known not to do! I hope Kayla has a good day today and that some familiar faces show up tomorrow.
Ash

background

Followers

Blog Archive