Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Another Postponement?

I got a call this morning from Kayla's surgeon's office asking me if I could call them before we take off to Syracuse.  The only thing I thought to ask was if Kayla's surgery was going to be postponed.  All they could tell me is that they weren't sure.  After that phone call I was stressed out of my mind and just felt sick to my stomach.

We have already postponed her surgery once because she was sick... but we waited until the day before we had to leave to know if it was postponed for sure.  This time we are sitting here waiting to hear the day of travel.  I have been stressing about her surgery ever since we found out about it.  I know it needs to be done and stressing isn't any good, but I can't do anything else.  But the past two nights, I have not really slept, and if I did sleep, I was dreaming about her surgery.  I'm just so nervous, terrified, sad...

At the end of the work day, I couldn't take it any more and I called our Dr's nurse back.  She is sooo very sweet and didn't seem bothered by me at all.  She even gave me her personal number so I didn't have to call the office and get any random nurse.  She listened to my concerns and told me she would call me back as soon as our Dr was done with his last patient.  After an hour of waiting to hear back, I was just too crazy about the whole situation, and I called back.  And I know that they are sooo super busy, and I felt awful for calling them back but I'm a nut case right now... :( The nurse still did not seem bothered and was very helpful! She got me right through to our Dr.  The whole issue is that our Dr is having a biopsy done on his foot tonight and isn't sure he'll be able to perform surgery on Friday.  He told me he'd have his nurse call me first thing in the morning to let me know if we should head down or not.  And he knows that we really want him to do the surgery-

So with that huge long story you probably didn't care to read... we are not sure if we are going to Syracuse tomorrow or not.  Our Dr did mention maybe having to postpone til Monday or Tuesday- could be Thursday or it could still be this Friday.  We just aren't sure what's happening yet.  Which is so hard!  I just need her to have the surgery so I can stop thinking/stressing and stop being a nut case and help get her through the recovery.

However, this morning before the phone call, Danielle, a great friend, surprised me with a great gift that my co-workers in Banford contributed to.  So very kind!!!  So thank you Banford!  Then a friend, Missy Lawrence, came into my room and gave me a gift to give to Kayla!  Kayla won't get them until after her surgery as one of the gifts had stickers in it... she LOVES stickers. :) So thank you Missy!  <3 You are too sweet!!
Even tho I think she is working harder to breathe, she can still run "so fast".  She had a great time running back and forth saying "I so fast... so fast"





Blog Archive