Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

A Tough Day-

Today was my first day back at work. Granted I went back two weeks after I had Kayla home last school year but that was AFTER cold/flu/h1n1/rsv season. Anyway the first two days back are faculty meetings ALL DAY! And the first half of the day- two different meetings, it seemed like all we talked about was SWINE FLU (H1N1)! By the second meeting, our nurse mentioned the reason why H1N1 was soooo bad. She said that it affects the bottom portion of your lungs. OMG! I lost it! Right there I tried my best to breathe calmly, and look up as that seems to always help control the tears. Well my stomach was going NUTS and I just had an awful feeling and could not control my water works! How am I going to keep from getting sick?! I probably cried overall, an hour... I finally stopped crying at the meeting, and then went back to my room and called my husband, bad mistake as I just started crying again. Then I hung up with him bc he didn't make me feel better so I called my mom- started crying AGAIN! I don't think it was possible to make me feel better at this point. So I stopped calling people and made myself busy cleaning my desk.

I'm just so worried about getting sick, and I know it will happen eventually but really I work with Kindergarten and First grade- they don't know how to wash their hands properly yet, and that is fine, but it's not with Kayla. Germs are spread so much in a school that it's impossible to avoid them. I can wash my hands all I want, but I always end up getting sick. My husband and I are going to take all preventative measures possible (shots) and hope I get a job away from a school.

Don't get me wrong, teaching is my passion. I did not go to college for 5 years to NOT teach.. I just think until she is older and has better lungs that I need to be out of a school. It's not like I am THE teacher- I'm just a TA.

Anyway- Today was awful! I text Patty (Charlie's mom) while at work of my concerns as well- poor Patty!! haha Sorry Patty!! I'm nuts, I know!!

Kayla had a good day today with Grandma... first day of babysitting- I think Grandma enjoyed herself too, however once I get home and shower, she has to go to work till 8:30!! YUCK!! So she babysits all day, and then works all night. She will also have to work on the weekends!! DOUBLE YUCK!! So I want to thank her for just being there! I don't know what I'd do without you! But Grandma said K was great- phew! haha At the end of the day/night she got her bath.. and these pics just make the day seem like it wasn't so bad. haha
She had a rubber ducky IN her tub, guess she wanted the other one!! 

Yummy- wash cloth!! haha



Liz and Shane said...

I am sorry you had a tough day. I will be calling you and crying in two weeks. I am praying we stay healthy and sick free for our little ones. I am so glad you have Grandma watching her. My mom will be watching Nayeli too.

Jaime's World said...

Hi Kate,
Welcome back to school...my husband is a teacher and I, too am HORRIFIED about the illnesses...not to mention my 1st grader and germs! I purchased 6 Purell's...Tom changes immediately after school before picking up Jaime and Jared has to wash and Purell his hands.
Good luck this year...love the pics! Kayla is ADORABLE!

P.S. I love the CDH Family Site. Another mom and I were just emailing about things parents should ask about in the NICU...and what "supplies" to purchase for the baby in the NICU.



Blog Archive