Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DC Drugs and Big Move

Today Kayla was taken completely off her fentanyl... YIKES!! I thought we had 8 more days on that stuff and today Dr. B decided to swipe her of that. She was fine until around 1:30-2:00 ... then she started breathing weird and shaking. I was not happy- then I heard news that Kayla was moving to E nursery... a less intensive nursery. I just got comfortable in the D nursery and they are booting us out already!! When I left Kayla - she was not better, she was much worse. She puked a lot of her feeding and I had a hard time calming her... her heart rate was 212-220ish.. not good. Her nurse said that staying in that range for a longer period is not good so she got Kayla some morphine. I don't believe it is helping her. She still shakes and sweats- it's awful! I left her after rocking her to sleep - it took an hour - she was asleep and I got her quietly into her crib. However I am nervous now... she needs some constant care right now and I'm afraid she isn't going to get it - AND they give her a bath tonight- she hates those! Today was a stressful day - Also the move- we are no longer next to our helpful parents of baby C- who keep me calm at times and help me to not stress so much - as I do when I'm alone! I believe they will move close to us soon, but it would have been nice to be in a comfortable place during Kayla's withdrawl... My love and prayers go out to all - hang in there- I've been told it gets better! I know it's easier said than done...

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm sorry yesterday was so rough for the both of you. Praying that today is much better! You can do it sweet baby Kayla! Show us again how strong you are. :) You hang in there too, Kate. And remember, we're just a couple hours away - if you want company, just say the word! :)

love you both, Laurie (Gramma)

Carissa said...

Hey Kathryn! So glad to hear that Kayla is doing well overall. From what I can tell about CDH babies, there are many ups and downs. Hopefully her yucky day is just a bump! I'll keep up with you guys as well. It's so encouraging to me to read the success stories. To answer your question, I have not had steroid shots yet. I'll be 36 weeks Friday so we will see what happens next. Thanks for checking in on us and please keep us all posted on Kayla's recovery!

Keirsey Family

Maxton's Mommy said...

Glad to hear your little one is doing well. It's nice for me to read your blog because mine was born on 3/3/09. Even though he didn't make it, it helps to read others who have... especially since through you I can see sort of what mine might be doing if he were here. May sound crazy, but it does help!!! Hoping tomorrow is a bit more restful for you guys!!!
Ashley

background

Followers

Blog Archive