Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

post-op day 2

Thanks to the visit with Patty I can post the pics now.. :) Thanks Patty!
Some pics before surgery- 

Jerry taking Kayla down to surgery- a very hard sight to watch! :( The blond lady was SUPER nice!

Last night wasn't too awful- I didn't get much sleep...but Kayla did.  She slept for most of the night, waking up here and there, but falling back to sleep easily.  She did have a fever last night, and since she is NPO (nothing by mouth) she couldn't take tylenol the normal way- she had to have it as a suppository.  Yucky!  But she didn't even flinch and she got two doses.  The Dr. said that a fever is normal right now after surgery- I was a little worried but she has kicked the fever.

I "slept" in a very uncomfortable rocking chair.. for maybe a total of an hour in about 6 hours.  So by 4 a.m. Jerry got up to go to the bathroom- and we switched.  He was sleeping in a very uncomfortable pull out chair, but way better than the rocking chair.  So I got about 3 hours of sleep... not bad.

Jerry got to snuggle her today- the Drs. wanted her up and moving a little today so they said one of us could hold her.  I think Jer feels like she's angry with him for taking her down to the surgery- but last night he said I love you to her and she signed it back to him... it was ADORABLE! So she's fine! :)

Today has been pretty uneventful.. phew!  We have slept on and off.. Kayla has too.  She was awake for about an episode and a half of Mickey Mouse today- longest she's been awake since.. she's pretty sad though.  The nurse thinks it my be bc of the epidural- making her feel weird- she doesn't move much- and when awake seems so sad..:( She doesn't seem to be in pain... and she does say no when you ask if something hurts... and she is one to want a kiss for something she has hurt.

Patty (Charlie's mom) came to visit today- Charlie can't come yet- not until Kayla is out of the ICU.  I can't even see Lily til Kayla is out of the ICU.. which pretty much means no Lily til Kayla is home.. :(  Anyway- Patty came over for a bit, it was nice to have someone to talk to - Jer and I have either been sleeping (taking turns) or trying to make Kayla happy. So thanks Patty!! :)

Now, when I say Kayla is sad- it's not that she is crying, she just has a whimper to her- mainly bc she doesn't want to cough up the gunk..:( Speaking of the gunk- she had issues w/ her NG tube today.  It was making her gag, so our nurse waited and waited for someone to come look at it, but finally I think, felt so bad for Kayla that she just decided to try to fix it... so she took the tape off of Kayla's face and pulled the tube out a little, Kayla instantly puked brown yucky stuff- and gagged and gagged for quite some time- and then we saw it come out of her mouth in a loop- which is how it was down in her- no wonder she was gagging.  So they took it right out.  They gave her some more pain drugs and put another one in.  She took it like a champ.

The only other issue we have had today was not too long ago- Kayla wanted to sleep in Daddy's lap again (this time she said she wanted to, the first time we made her)- well she woke up- slightly- and said "no" in her little whimper voice, and Jer was fast asleep.  I was sitting across the room and said "Jer-" in a pretty normal voice, a voice where someone that close would hear me... well Jer didn't and I said it like 3 more times, getting louder, K woke up completely and so I yelled Jer- but not like a complete crazy yell... well Kayla started shaking like crazy- and looked completely scared..:( I don't know if it was bc of my yelling or if she was shaking bc of her epidural or if she looked scared bc she was sitting up at that point... and she's not into the whole sitting up thing yet- so that was scary!! I almost had a heart attack!

She is ok- just sad.  Which makes me sad. Which makes Jer sad  It's tough.. we expect to be in the ICU for another couple days.

 first time we got to see her! that was hard!!
 her recovery room
first night in ICU- LOVED the sponges with water on it... tonight tho- not so much..:( 
Jerry holding K- she did not want to move... but nurse said she needed to move around a bit today 

watching Mickey Mouse


this is when I had to yell for Jer to wake up- I was scared he'd drop her... 




Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even believe how tired and stressed you must be!! I know your heart is breaking for her:( You and Jerry are so strong! Kayla is very lucky to have such great parents to go through this with her! Thinking of you guys every second!!!!

Jennifer Tenney said...

Aw! I can't imagine how tough this must be! To watch our babies go into surgery as a newborn is one thing, but I always thought it would be so much harder as a toddler! She is a gorgeous patient!
Many prayers for a quick and smooth recovery!!!
Hugs,
Jennifer

Hope for congenital diaphragmatic hernia said...

Hello I'm a cdh Mother too. My Ava reherniated as well when she was 25 months. We were devastated and nearly lost her. Just know you are not alone. If you have any questions please let me know. (mycdhlife@gmail.com) I know how hard all of this is. Hug as you go through another bumpy cdh ride.

~Terri and Ava
http://avaslifewithcdh.blogspot.com

background

Followers

Blog Archive