Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

To reherniate or not to reherniate? That is the question...

The other day Kayla had her x-ray as I posted b4. We are worried that she may have reherniated, a week ago Wednesday to be exact. Today I went to the hospital to get the x-ray of Kayla's chest bc I was supposed to hand deliver this to Dr. Ratner...I picked it up and walked out to my car. I decided I wanted to look inside the envelope. And thank god I did... there was a write up- so I read it: Patient is status post hernia repair. There is some bowel loop identified under the left hemidiaphragm and medially just near the cardiophrenic angle. I cannot clearly state a difinite recurrent hernia. There were no prior films available for comparison. There is also on the lateral view a wedge of air identified anteriorly which could be gas within a Morgagni herniaa versus a part of the repair. The lung fields are clear and the heart and mediastinal silhouettes appear normal. Impression: Bowel loops in what appears to be elevation of a left hemidiaphragm with some loops noted just medial to that diaphragm. Gas also noted anteriorly on the lateral view, which could be a portion of the stomach or colon in a mogagni hernia. Correlation with prior films may be helpful. These results were discussed with Dr. T. No acute pathology otherwise noted in the chest. Now I read this and anger brewed inside of me. What this sounds like to me is "I have no clue if she reherniated or not." Yet, almost a week later noone has done a thing about this. I got the letter, and the x-ray cd... and I have already phoned Dr. Ratner's office and talked to one of the nurses, and she was very helpful. She told me to fax the write up to her, and thankfully the x-ray cd loaded on this computer and I was able to send her the pics of the x-ray. What I don't understand is why I had to do this. If a doctor/radiologist isn't sure if she reherniated wouldn't the best option be to send the x-ray directly to the surgeon who does know. I am very p'od about this. Kayla could be getting sicker day by day but bc noone up here knows about CDH she has to suffer. The KICKER- I gave the cd of x-rays that were taken at the NICU before and after surgery to Dr. T and she said she would bring it to the hospital for radiology to compare ... yet they mentioned they had nothing to compare the x-ray to... I am now awaiting a response from Ratner's office. If I do not get one within the 1/2 hour I will be calling again. I just need to know- why wait for her to be in repiratory distress for her to be fixed. I just don't get it.


Beth said...

I'm sorry, Kate. I hope she's doing ok. Doctor's can be so frustrating. Be persistant and make them give you answers!

The video you made was great, by the way!

Maxton's Mommy said...

That is crazy! Mommys shouldn't have to be doctors too! Be sure to advocate for you little one... praying for no reherniation!




Blog Archive