Kayla Mae Olmstead

Kayla was born with Left-sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (LCDH). When she was born she was in the NICU for a total of 55 days. She reherniated two years later, had her repair surgery in May 2011 and spent 11 days in hospital recovering. She is a tough little girl and we are truly blessed to have her here.

I'm Growing, I'm Growing!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Back to Work!

Kayla's first night in her very own room. Yes I am a bad mommy- she has a ton of blankets in there, and her bumpers are up. She is also on a wedge- to help with reflux at night. She needs barriers... so I put a ton of blankets in there and roll them up at the bottom so she doesn't fall down, and on the sides so she can't turn- which she has done..
I would like to say she is very strong- which she is, but she does have the help of that rolled up blanket... I mean most of this holding up is all her, but the blanket does help a little. :)
Kayla's first experience with a dog- and yes, it is a BIG dog.. Homer is his name. Homer lives with Grandma and Grandpa... but is Uncle Tim's dog. She was not scared one bit- he even came up to her and licked her face and she smiled! :) I missed the pic- I was too slow!My gorgeous girl!
Nina came over to get Kayla's routine down for babysitting.... and started reading to Kayla... she loved it- Kayla too :) haha
So I am back to work- have been for a week now. I have to say it is nice to see my co-workers- they are always a ton of fun to work with... but I wish I were home with Kayla... my job is just too germy for my sanity right now. I hate the thought of what I bring home.. thank god my mother takes Kayla to her house during the day... that makes it so I can go home and go straight to the shower and scrub off the germs I picked up at school and change my icky clothes. I only have 2.5 more weeks left and school will be out. Phew!
Kayla is doing great.. I am really happy with her weight gain- I think she is on track, I was a little obsessive and bought a scale.. my scale said last night she was 11lbs 11oz... Monday we have a pediatrician check up and I will compare the two scales to see how accurate mine really is. She eats anywhere from 3-5 oz. I never can tell how much she will do at each feeding. I do let her sleep at night tho, I stopped waking her as it was causing more problems than not. She lets us know when she wants food so I am good with that. She has a check up in syracuse on Wed. Aparrently we "missed" our appt... even tho we went to an appt.. not sure what happened but hopefully this appt will do an x-ray so I can see her lungs.
All in all things are going well. I have to say I have been truly lucky with her! I am praying for those going thru this same process every night. Stay strong and be positive- that is one thing I learned at the NICU, you must stay positive! :)

2 comments:

Maxton's Mommy said...

:-) Kayla is just too cute! I love looking at pictures of her. Glad she is doing well. And you are right.. in the NICU you have to be positive, even when you aren't hearing positive things! Hope the appt. goes well.

Ash

Liz and Shane said...

Kayla is gorgeous! She is so cute with all of her cute outfits. You crack me up with all the blankets. Great news on her feeds and weight gain. I hope the next two weeks go by fast so you can spend the summer with your little Princess!

background

Followers

Blog Archive